The town still presents the remains of the first Umbrian populations that founded it (during the late Bronze Age) and the subsequent Roman settlement. In the 15th Century, it passed under the rule of the Papal State. In addition to the fortress, current location of contemporary art exhibitions, from an architectonic point of view, the most interesting buildings are the church of Santa Maria della Reggia (16th Century) and the Church of Santa Croce (1651), which hosts an extraordinary painting by Signorelli (“Descent from the cross”), in addition to numerous minor works. Close by is one of the best-preserved defensive buildings of the entire Tiber valley (Valtiberina): the Castle of Civitella Ranieri, erected between the 15th and 16th Century. Outside the village is located the suggestive Abbey of Montecorona, which was built by St. Romuald shortly after the year 1000 AD, according to tradition.
- There were no results found.