Formerly inhabited by the Umbrian population of the Suillates, it became a Roman “Municipium” called Suillum. Sigillo is placed along the Via Flaminia and close to the beautiful Regional Park of Mount Cucco. It was dominated by the Lombards of Nocera Umbra and, during the period of the war between Guelphs and Ghibellines, sided with the first ones. For this reason, in 1230, Sigillo was destroyed by Federico II, leader of the Ghibellines. Disputed by some of the most important families in Central Italy, Sigillo passed under the domination of the Pope in the middle of the 16th Century and was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy in 1860. There are important architectural evidences in Sigillo, as the Church of St. Andrew (13th Century) and the Church of Santa Maria Assunta di Scirca, in the homonymous fraction (13th century). In the surroundings of Sigillo, over the stream Fonturci, there is an Augustan bridge, named Ponte Spiano, made of Carnelian stone boulders, 32 meters long and 3,25 meters wide.
- There were no results found.