The name of this town, founded by the Etruscans, derives from the nearby stream Niccone, which divides it from Tuscany. During the Byzantine period, it took an important strategic position to connect Rome and Ravenna. In the Middle-Ages, starting from 1202, it belonged to the city of Perugia for a long time, under the rule of the Marquisate of del Monte family. After a short period during which it belonged to the Casali family of Cortona, in 1479 it passed under the dominion of the Papal State and remained in this situation until 1861, when it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. On its municipal territory there are the ruins of a 11th-century castle and a 11th-century church, dedicated to St. Thomas. In the surroundings rise the castles of Lisciano, Reschio and Montalto.
- There were no results found.