Fossato di Vico
Various archaeological finds identify Fossato di Vico as the ancient town of Vicus Helvillum, an important stopping place along the Via Flaminia. Before the Romans, ancient Umbrian populations, related to the cult of the goddess Cupra, were here since the first millennium B.C.. Probably, the centre disappeared after the battle of Tagina (552), during which Totila, the king of Goths, was killed, and was rebuilt in the Byzantine age by taking the name “Fossaton” (fortification). In 1386 it became “free city” and thus remained until 1540, when Fossato di Vico was annexed to the Papal State until the Unity of Italy. The city centre is rich in historical heritage of the medieval period. Of special importance is the Church of St. Benedict, a Benedictine Abbey of the 13th Century characterized by two portals, a trilobal monofora and an inscription dating back to 1337.
- There were no results found.