Città di Castello
The ancient Tifernum Tiberinum, a thriving city under the Romans and free and powerful Guelph Municipality in the late Middle-Ages, met a period of splendour under the guide of the Vitelli family. The places of interest of the city are the gothic Palazzo dei Priori (1322-38), the Cathedral (of Romanesque origin, rebuild in the Renaissance), the Museo del Capitolo, with a relevant collection of sacred objects and works of jewellery, the Municipal Art Gallery at Palazzo Vitelli alla Cannoniera, which collects paintings of great Renaissance artists (from Raffaello to Signorelli). Particularly noteworthy are Palazzo Vitelli in Sant’Egidio (erected in 16th century), the basilicas of St. Dominic and St. Francis and the Alberto Burri’s Collection, located in Palazzo Albazzini and in the former tobacco drying rooms. Just a few kilometres from the city centre, you can find the Oratory of St. Crescentinus (15th Century), the Sanctuary of the Madonna di Belvedere (17th Century), the Sanctuary of the Madonna di Canoscio (19th Century) and the panoramic Villa Montesca (19th Century).
- There were no results found.